ECIC Team's Contribution
Our ECIC team has conducted studies to understand extensions of PCIT to diverse settings and populations as well as to understand the best methods to train clinicians in PCIT.
A sample of publications is provided below because they demonstrate the ECIC team’s:
- clinical and implementation expertise
- ability to collaborate and see projects to completion, and
- established national/international reputation for PCIT implementation.
This careful study not only documents our training team’s effectiveness, it also allows us to use data to refine our training processes for continuous quality improvement.
Below are sample publications from ECIC members as well as our community and academic partners from the last 3 years.
- Brookman-Frazee, L., Stahmer, A., Stadnick, N., Chlebowski, C., Herschell, A., & Garland, A. (2015). Characterizing the use of Research-Community Partnerships in studies of evidence-based interventions in community children’s community services. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. DOI: 10.1007/s10488-014-0622-9
- Quetsch, L. B., Wallace, N. M., Herschell, A. D., & McNeil, C. B. (2015). Weighing in on the time-out controversy: An empirical perspective. The Clinical Psychologist, 68(2), 4-15.
- Scudder A. B., & Herschell, A. D. (2015). Building an evidence-base for the training of evidence-based treatments: Use of an expert informed approach. Children and Youth Services Review, 55, 88-92. DOI:10.1016/j.childyouth.2015.05.003
- Herschell, A. D., Kolko, D. J., Scudder, A. B., Taber-Thomas, S., Schaffner, K. F., Heigel, S. A., Iyengar, S., Chaffin, M., & Mrozowski, S. (2015). Protocol for a statewide randomized controlled trial to compare three training models for implementing an evidence-based treatment. Implementation Science, 10, 133-149. DOI: 10.1186/s13012-015-0324-z
- Herschell, A. D., Scudder, A. B., Schaffner, K. F., & Slagel, L. A. (2016). Feasibility and effectiveness of parent-child interaction therapy with victims of domestic violence: A pilot study. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 1-13.
- Scudder, A. T., Taber-Thomas, S., Herschell, A. D., Schaffner, K., Pemberton, J., & Hunter, L. A (2017). Mixed-Methods Study of System- Level Sustainability of Evidence-Based Practices in 12 Large-Scale Implementation Initiatives. Health Research Policy and Systems. 15:102 doi: 10.1186/s12961-017-0230-8.
- Jackson, C. B., Brabson, L. A., Quetsch, L. B., & Herschell, A. D. (2018). Training transfer: A review of the effect of inner setting factors. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 24(1), 167-183. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-018-9837-y
- Jackson, C. B., Quetsch, L., B., Brabson, L.A., & Herschell, A. D. (2018). Effectiveness of web-based training programs. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. doi: 10.1007/s10488-018-0847-0.
- McLeod, B. D., Cox, J. R., Jensen-Doss, A., Herschell, A. D., Ehrenreich-May, J., & Wood, J. J. (2018). Proposing a mechanistic model of clinician training and consultation. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1111/cpsp.12260
- Jackson, C. B., Brabson, L. A., Quetsch, L., B., & Herschell, A. D. (2018). Training transfer: A systematic review of the impact of inner setting factors. Advances in Health Sciences Education
- Brabson, L. A., Jackson, C. B., Liebsack, B. K., & Herschell, A. D. (2018). PCIT: Summary of 40 years of research. In C. B. McNeil, L. B. Quetsch, & C. M. Anderson (Eds.), Handbook of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy for Children on the Autism Spectrum. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
- Herschell, A. D., Scudder, A. B., Taber-Thomas, S. & Schaffner, K. F. (2018). Getting Parent-Child Interaction Therapy to scale. In L. N. Niec (Ed.) Handbook of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy: Innovations and Applications for Research and Practice.
- Herschell, A. D., Quetsch, L., B. & Kolko, D. J. (2019). Measuring adherence to key teaching techniques in an evidence-based treatment: A Comparison of caregiver, therapist, and behavior observation ratings. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders. https://doi.org/10.1177/1063426618821901
- Brabson, L. A., Herschell, A. D., Kolko, D. J., & Mrozowski, S. J. (2019). Associations among job role, training type, and staff turnover in a large-scale implementation initiative. Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research, 46, 399-414. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-018-09645-1
- Herschell, A. D., Taber-Thomas, S. M., Kolko, D. J., McLeod, B. M., & Jackson, C. B. (2019). Treatment-as-Usual for child physical abuse in community mental health centers: Therapist characteristics, client profiles and therapy processes. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders